ARCTIC BIRDING TOUR
Taiga and Tundra Birding Wildlife Explorer
Join us for an exclusive birding and wildlife experience in the arctic taiga and tundra. The star of the show is the highly endangered Lesser White-fronted Goose. At Stabbursnes Nature Reserve you’ll have the opportunity to catch a glimpse of the rare bird during its spring migration in May. Meet the ornithologists that have been tracking the Lesser White-Fronted Goose for the past 20 years.
We’ll explore the world’s northernmost pine forest at Stabbursdalen National Park for its Pine Grosbeak, Siberian Jay and the Siberian Tit. And we’ll take you to some of our favorite local nature reserves and viewing spots along the Porsangerfjord. Here you can observe Ruffs, Bar-Tailed Godwits, Whimbrels, Dunlins, Common Shelducks, Kittiwakes, Arctic Skuas and many more species. And some of the highlights are the nesting area of the Horned Grebe and the Long-tailed Skua.
If you haven’t seen the Red Knot, brace yourself for an amazing wader spectacle! During the spring migration, the Red Knots congregate in Veidnesklubben in flocks of 30-40 000 birds.
In the second part of our journey, we’ll take you to the arctic coast of Hjelmsøya Island Nature Reserve, Gjesværstappan Nature Reserve and the coastal plains of Slettnes Nature Reserve. You’ll get to experience some of the largest seabird colonies in the arctic tundra. Here you have an opportunity to observe an incredible amount of Puffins, Common Guillemot, Brünnichs Guillemot, Razorbills, Cormorants, Arctic Skuas, Fulmars, White-Tailed Eagles, Gannets, Long-Tail Ducks, and if we are lucky we should see Pomarine Skua and Yellow-Billed Loon.
Besides birding, you’ll most likely have a chance to meet our residential moose, reindeer, deer, foxes, arctic hare, squirrels, weasels and maybe the local otter and sea eagles on our property in Stuenes. Prepare for a close encounter with local wildlife in the land of the midnight sun.
- Stabbursnes Nature Reserve – Lesser White-fronted Goose.
- Veidnesklubben – Red Knot spectacle by the thousands.
- Ring marking birds with NOA.
- Gjesvær Nature Reserve – Seabird colony.
- Hjelmsøya Island Nature Reserve – Seabird colony.
- Slettnes Nature Reserve – Seabirds.
- North Cape visit.
- Delicious Arctic Norwegian cuisine.
- 7 nights of accommodation at Stuenes Lodge.
- Private bedroom – shared bathroom & sauna in Stuenes Lodge.
- Full board – breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea & 3-course dinner (Stuenes Lodge).
- 4 nights of partner accommodation & full board.
- Birding & wildlife viewing in National Parks and Nature Reserves.
- Gjesvær Nature Reserve & Hjelmsøya by boat – seabird colony.
- 10 days of wildlife guiding.
- North Cape visit.
- Transport to all of the wildlife & birding areas.
- Airport pick-up at Lakselv Airport – drop off at Mehamn Airport.
Stuenes Lodge capacity 6-8 persons. The lodge has 2.5 bathrooms. A minimum amount of participants 6, maximum 8. Alcohol and flights are not included.
The wildlife and birding week consists of 10 days of guiding in various areas, nature reserves, and national parks and 11 nights of lodging. All outdoor activity is subject to weather conditions at all times. This will determine the order of the destinations and there may be possible changes to trip itinerary in regards to optimal safety and for an enjoyable experience.
Please e-mail us for a detailed day to day trip itinerary.